Saturday, November 04, 2006

the gospel according to borat

Who knew a fake-Khazakstanian reporter could reveal so much about America? Borat’s antics remain uncontrollably funny while reaching deep within America to pull out gut-wrenching commentary. Racism, bigotry, hate, obsession, & greed have never been funnier as indictments against the very people who ‘uphold’ freedom, etiquette, politics, and religion. True comedic genius that makes a discerning audience both shudder in awe and shake in laughter at the ridiculous obtuseness of the characters.

I also finished Buechner’s The Gospel and Tragedy, Comedy and Fairy Tale today. A good concept for framing the totality of the concept of the Gospel, but the book lost my attention here and there.

Borat’s movie really brought out the tragedy of America as a fantastic comedy. The entire surrealistic journey seemed very much like a modern fairy-tale or fable. In the end, the whole thing rounded out for me the multi-dimensional quality of truth. Borat the preacher? Well, probably not (he's Jewish)– but at least a really funny prophetic voice.

2 Comments:

At 1:56 AM, Blogger Rowlfee said...

well, i was eating when i titled my blog. I'm looking forward to seeing Borat, that is when I break down and pay the $14 to see it over here. Hope all is well back in Austin.

 
At 12:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought we had a pact to. Regardless, if you liked it, I can now have hope. - manes

 

Post a Comment

<< Home