Tuesday, April 19, 2005

personal smoke

smoke signals seem a bit ridiculous in the digital age.

i also have to agree with the skinny regarding the current vacancy.

draw your own conclusions on the current state of catholicism, but i'm more inclined to say that protestants aren't far off. the creation of pastor search committees who talk behind closed doors pass off the persnonal authority/responsibility/initiative of each protestant american believer relegated only to those in top-down leadership positions. as far as the denominational divide even among churches within the same city, at least catholics unite worldwide. the apple never falls far from the tree, and even as luther made same great changes, we're still looking to be perfected.

thus "emerging" predominantly out of protestantism (though not only american), emergent has no desire to create a divergent spirit within the Church; but rather to redefine who Christ was/is/will be and how we as His body love him by loving His/our world. hopefully everyone, both from within the church and outside of it, will see this form of Chist-following as more than a criticism of "the man" as well as a fresh expression of timeless truth that seeks to enhance and energize the lives of all people by living out Jesus commands to love Him by feeding his sheep.

2 Comments:

At 1:11 PM, Blogger sean and mel said...

i was on a pastor search committee... i doubt they will ask me back

 
At 8:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aren't you making an assumption when you critique protestants for "passing off their authority"? I know, I know, I'm a Presbyterian and that shapes how I view church government. I shudder when I think of the mega-church in Houston (which shall go unnamed, though it should be pretty clear who they are with even a modicum of research) that took 5 years to find a senior pastor.

Despite what pastoral search committees may or may not turn into, it shouldn't negate the principle of Godly elders leading the church. Pretty much the only Latin that I know is "abusus non tollit usum": wrong use doesn't preclude proper use. I know I'm probably (unfortunately) in a unique situation, seeing as I actually trust and respect the elders in my home church, so much so that I'm responsible to them for how I do in my seminary studies.

Anyway, it was good to stumble upon your blog. I hope you're doing well.

-E Priest

 

Post a Comment

<< Home