Monday, February 14, 2005

when the god head rolls...

I owe Melissa a chick flick. Friday afternoon we saw Ong Bak on the first day of its American release. Though she slept through a portion of it (loud go-cart chase - amazing) and I laughed through most of it, we both got our money’s worth (cause it was free with a gift card).

The movie centers around a village people who send a man, Ting, off to recover the stolen head of their village Buddha – Ong Bak. The story chronicles his ridiculous martial arts skills, in which he uses no strings or stunt men, ya – this guy’s good (the movie is probably best a rental though). While he’s off the village dries up and the people weep for their god’s head to be returned.

This struck me as crazy. The people truly worshipped an image. If wasn’t just offensive that someone stole their god’s head, but they were distraught and without hope or identity while the head was missing. It reminded me of the mascot rivalries. Like when the good ole boys of A & M steal Bevo or something or when the guys at UT killed the Revelie when they painted him. It gets the school down and reinforces the rivalry, but it isn’t what the people faith in. But the fact that in the movie, the stone statue was a part of the god embodied on earth made me cringe at the totally lack of hope in anything beyond what men can create and destroy.

The Baals of the Old Testament were a slap in the face of the Godhead because they were created by men to be worshipped by men. God’s anger and Moses’ anger against the Israelites was justified. Why settle for what is less? Why allow yourself to create an object of worship, rather than worship the object of your creation? One is simply worthy and one simply isn’t.

Thus, I’m thankful that my God is a mere statue made at the hands of men, able to be torn and stolen and cheapened. Even when I feel down and my God doesn’t seem to answer me, I can see beyond manmade images and look to the trees or talk to a beloved people or listen to inspiring music and know that God has not lost his control because the God I serve is a triune God of infinite complexity, perfect harmony, and joyful love that is inviting me to dance with Him in the beauty of his being. And for that I’m grateful.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home