Monday, February 14, 2005

Beyond Action-Jesus

(I wrote this friday evening: this is a long, be it abbreviated, post - but perhaps you’ll be inspired along with me)

My plea this morn (the post below this one) was met with simple, reassuring words that only the inspired Word can bring. The Lord’s challenged me in great ways lately (thanks largely to the writing of NT Wright) to read the Gospels with a new lens. This lens is to take my glasses off first and try to see what Jesus and the writer are doing by looking through their eyes. Mark unfolds a fascinating account of the life of Christ. He creates a marketable Action-Jesus, complete with push-button healing hand, a pull-string for teaching, and a coded message for demons (of course, there is so much more – but this is no infomercial). Mark’s Jesus has been speaking to me for a couple of weeks now as I slowly progress through this book. Today, chapter 5 reprised. Up to this point Jesus has been moving and acting fairly quickly. Mark’s account of his ministry has been fast-passed, but of course – rhythmical. Then the demon-possessed man, a bleeding woman, Jairus, and his daughter receive Jesus utmost attention; and Jesus heals of them appropriately as individuals.

But before we can understand the totality of the shift from the Action-Jesus of the first chapters to the three folks in need of healing in the fifth chapter, we must understand Jesus’ actions in the fourth chapter. This is Mark’s first extended treatment of Jesus’ teaching. After telling the parable of the seeds to the crowds, Jesus explains it to his disciples. He gives them the “secret of the Kingdom,” and yet they miss it pretty badly. We know they miss it because Mark is an excellent storyteller. He recounts Jesus calming the storm right after his lengthy parable explanation to the disciples. Mark tells this story not only to show Jesus’ power over nature, as we are taught from the felt board as kids, but also to show that knowledge never equates to faith. Even though the disciples knew more about Jesus than many other people did, they still jacked up believing and trusting and relying on him… Just like me. I’m just like them. I think I learn or grow or understand more, but I’m still quivering on to my small, sinking safety raft of self-sufficiency. And even though the disciples grow and learn quite a bit in one day, it takes several years for the birth of true faith, even to the point of death.

So that brings us to chapter 5. Mark’s been re-telling the story of Jesus like he’s Flash Gordon, but here – he stops – and reminds us that each person has a story of their own. And not only that, but that Jesus cares about each and every one of us. Jesus heart beats for the individual, as well as all of mankind.

The man with the demons inside him has sadly been outcasted from society. He has no control over his own body, but he falls before Jesus because thankfully even the demons know their God when they see him. And - Jesus exorcises. Demons flee. Pigs die. People marvel. (go ahead – at least whisper an amen from your computer! And no – I don’t care if you’re in a coffee shop surrounded by atheists…)

Jairus gets his name mentioned in the Bible precisely because he came to the person he knew could help him. Jesus wants to heal his daughter and begins to go with him when a woman, who is also a social misfit by no doing of her own, evokes Jesus power by her act of faith. Jesus considers this no small feat and stops amidst the crowd to reaffirm her publicly and to send her on her way “in peace.” When Jesus finally arrives at Jairus’ house, he takes the girl by the hand and affectionately refers to her as “little girl.” Thankfully, Jesus powerfully incarnates a personal God.

So – how does this relate to me you ask? “Do not fear, only believe (5.36).” Then I asked, “okay, what am I to believe in, Lord?” I sat. Perhaps simply believing that God cares for me just like Jesus did, the man, the woman, Jairus, and his daughter. Am I fearing that God isn’t going to provide or that his will isn’t being accomplished in my current position? OR am I “faithing in” God’s provision no matter what my situation? Don’t fear, just believe. That’s enough – belief that God loves me enough to provide for me, his beloved child.

So for right now - Thanks God for inspiring Mark to write in such a way that teaches me more about your Son through the work of your Holy Spirit’s conviction within me. AMEN.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home