Monday, May 24, 2004

oh the regalia

i felt like a horse. it was as if my vision could only be focused on what was right in front of me. everything else was turned down. the cheer of my family muted. the deans congrats hushed. until i left the stage and flash of the official university camera brought me out of the reins of my diploma-drawn carriage.

graduation was surreal. watching families attempt to wave down their child was really funny. nothing had changed from the kindergarten music program - smiles, video cameras, wild waving and trying to find your child in the sea of black gowns. it just reminded me that no matter what you think you're relationship to your family - it's a huge bond. kids want to look up and see their parents cheering for them as they cross the stage. they want the approval of their 'rents. it's a good feeling - look what i've accomplished. you've helped prepare me to do this. graduation is a good thing - even though it's long and boring... it's a fitting good-bye and closure to the last stage of life. a chance to enjoy where hard work has gotten you and ushering you into the next stage of hard work.

now it's done. feels interesting.

1 Comments:

At 12:07 PM, Blogger rod said...

I'm sure its different for some folks, but at 40, the need for approval and cheers from the rents is still as strong as ever. I know some who still look for it long after their parents are gone. I thank God for a pair with whom I've found approval and therefore, a healthy continued need for it.
At some point, I must have thought that the parents' job was to guide me to adulthood. As adulthood approached I realized that their job was to guide me through life and they had only 18 years to do it. I think the role and place of a kid never changes as long as both child and parent are alive. Perhaps we cease to be children in the eyes of our parents, but parents are always that in the eyes of their kids.
I pray God's blessing, leadership and guidance on the next stage. May your following Christ always garner cheers and approval from the rents.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home