Thursday, May 13, 2004

The Promise Ring

hebrews 11 (and 6 taken into account). to look at only a small section of it is so difficult, however - flow with me as i try.

faith - God's very character

faith - starts first with God, then is authors (founded) in me by Jesus, he then sees it on to completion (perfection).

faith - promises me that God will be faithful to complete his work within me - my reason to have hope on the day of Christ

faith - can be completed thru my actions as i follow in the footsteps of Christ thru to my "completion"

faith - my reason for living in a manner worthy of the calling i have received

faith - rewarded in heaven

i greet church from afar when even though i can't see it on Sunday morning - i rise and go to it. it's there regardless of whether or not i show up, but as a Christian i have no choice to disrepect its call on my life and the blessings found there.

the promise ring is God's faithfulness to us and our response to him. there's no break in the chain - because God is faithful, we are to respond in acts of faith (ie - joy in suffering v.32-40) that bring us closer to an intimate knowledge of Jesus. the ancients were commended for their faith, yet they "did not recieve what was promised." we recieve the promise - the way - the Son of Man - the Messiah - the Savior - we haven't "seen" him - but we greet him as he greeted us. blind faith is false - we have faith in what we have seen from afar... God revealed in his creation, his Word, and our lives - all powerful in their "scope."

faith - God's work in me

faith - my trust in his promises expressed by my life's actions

faith - God and me, working together for my good and his glory

Jesus gift to me the bride - the perfection of a circle - the promise ring of faith.

1 Comments:

At 10:46 AM, Blogger gdwill said...

Sean, I really like your metaphor here and the way you've developed it creatively. i wonder if you could keep nibbling at it, but using less "insider" language?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home