Friday, February 24, 2006

why do cops make it so hard to like them?

This is a letter I wrote to the Austin Police Department just a few minutes ago... I'll let you know if I ever get a reponse or apology.

To those who serve and protect -

Please read my whole story, before you continue on to others. Thanks in advance.

I suppose people party tonight (Feb. 24th) on 6th Street. I am not one of those people.

Tonight I simply wanted to take my wife to dinner at Dan McClusky's @301 6th Street. We passed two motorcyle policemen and parked at the restaurant at 5:45PM in the "7am-7pm 2 hr parking" area. This sign was apparently not true, for tonight.

At 7:20pm just before getting the check for the end of dinner, lights flash from a tow truck outside the restaurant. My wife brings this to my attention and to my dismay, the truck is backed up to my car. I ran outside to see what this strange commotion was all about.

7 or 8 cops were gathered around my car, 2 video cameras were taping the "action," and I inquired, "what's going on?" The response was much less than corgial from the police, "Is this your car?" "Yes," I reply. "He's gonna tow your car." "What?" I ask, completely unaware of why this would be happening.

The cop points to a small 8.5x11" white piece of paper that is 5-7 feet below the "7-7" parking sign. Apprently this small sliver of paper negates parking here after 5:30pm on this evening only. THIS SIGN WAS NOT THERE WHEN WE ARRIVED AT 5:45PM! Nor did anyone make my wife and I aware of this evening's policy, even though we passes and were passed by at least 4 motorcycle cops on 6th Street.

The fee for the police calling the tow truck for a sign that wasn't there when we parked was $25 (would have been $150 had we been towed). I didn't have the cash, so I had to use the ATM while the police looked on and laughed at the situation. They acted as if it was my fault that this happened, even though THEY DID NOT POST THE SIGN til after we parked there.

I would like a refund of my $25, please. This is an expense that fallas on the police department's shoulders for being ill-prepared and unapologetic. The APD called the tow truck, they should be required to pay the fee.

As a faithful and law-abiding Austinite, I would appreciate aid from those asked (and bound) to serve and protect rather than the exploitation and belittlement shown towards me tonight.

Please hear my honest plea for the justice you claim to uphold.

Please call when you recieve this email

Thank you for your time -

Sean Henry
(214) 679 7552
1509 Enfield
Austin TX, 78703

______________________

Sometimes you just feel screwed by the "empire" (okay, well alot of times, but even more so now).

2 Comments:

At 12:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love cops! I have no idea what you are talking about, and you call yourself an American. . . wait, no you don't.

 
At 4:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

=(
all society is a giant injustice!o beautiful world!!!
how's married life?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home