Thursday, December 08, 2005

4 blogs excerpts I "passively" chose not to publish. 3 weeks worth of thought-lines. 2 many people to offend. 1 mind who can trust?

- “[One abbot] troubled by the growing number of cereals made available for breakfast in his community [asked] ‘How many kinds of cereals do we need in order to meet genuine health needs without falling into thoughtless consumerism?’” – from Cloister Walk

- I came downstairs tonight. I stared at my walls and furniture. This is the end of the chapter. In the next thirty days, this room will be transformed from a bachelor pad into a … duo pad? For the first time, the reality of getting married is close. Since the engagement it has seemed far off. But now with Advent here and one month to go, the up hill climb has shifted to more of a slide down the backstretch.

- So there’s been something among others lately that’s been bothering me. I liked emergent because it helped me out of the church. I liked the church because it introduced me to Jesus. I appreciate yet still have strong distaste for the categories and systems in both. I like where I think I am in monasticism.

- I popped another chocolate covered pineapple into my mouth
While the audience applauded for the speaker one last time.
Business casual is a great term for looking nicer than you really are
Though on the screen and talked about throughout the night,
Actual minorities present were few and far between.
Who’s neighborhood will the crackhouses be kicked into
once “we” kick “them” out?
Hurricane indifference blows them to the next subdivision over
Then up goes the success rate

2 Comments:

At 1:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

way to be "active" and post.

wink.

 
At 6:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember that quote from the Cloister Walk! :)

Hey, the "emerging church" was a big segway for me from a souring church and weary church experience into the monasticism that I increasingly embrace. I actually intend to write apost about that soon.

Peace my Texas monk friend.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home